Sunday, April 29, 2007

In Bolivia: Intestinal Issues and a Giant Jesus

Hay dios mio! The foreigners have lain seige on the eastern keyboard. Our ally the question mark has regrouped and joined forces with the 0 in the North while the semicolon and colon have divided to join the comma and period in the south. A guerrilla effort seems to have begun with the brackets and braces and have recruited such allies as the +,*, and some unknown character (Ç) that looks like a C with a goatie (probably allied with the French). With a coordinated effort I think we can resecure the neutral territory of the shift and return key and flank the Spanish (ñ and ´) and Germans (^) from the poles. Good luck troops!

The following paragraph explicitly describes the horrors of "Incan Indigestion" so skip ahead if you like.

Well, I have arrived in Bolivia and an uninvited guest by the name of Giardia has decided to join me. He enjoys spending much time in the bathroom which is creating quite a conflict of interests. In an effort to get to know this guy a little better I consulted my travel disease book I was given by a doctor back in the states. Upon reading up, I saw that there was no entry for Giardia, instead the only ailment whose title fit my condition was discreetly known as [traveller}s diarrahea[. The doctor had devoted an entire page to this illness, which seemed a bit excessive; my description might have been a little more brief, something like {look in the toilet{, that's probably Giardias fault. But apparently there are RULES about having this condition that are nearly as confusing and lengthy as the game of Cricket. Apparently to be eligible you must pass at least three loose stools sucessively, and a minimum of 17 loose stools before you can win. If one passes any semi solid stool intemediate to 2 soft stools one must pass at least one more soft stool before continuing his stool count. I found the game confusing and painful and so I quit and am now on an antibiotic which has killed off any bacteria in my system and actually seems to have destroyed this head cold that I picked up around the same time. So now I am in Cochabamba Bolivia and all{s well. While the citizens seem to lack the, what we deem, fundamental importance of keeping their city clean, I think that most of the citizens are fairly happy with their current existence. As an American who has never had access to nothing less than the best, it is quite a transition. I met my sister{s family who she has been staying with for the last couple months and they are nice.

Yesterday, we went hiking up to the top of a mountain where a giant Jesus, in fact the largest in South America and the highest in the world overlooks the valley of Cochabamba.

On a new point without transition, though I suppose that was a transition sortof, While there are many struggling industries in this developing world, illicit drug cartels are not one of them. We toured the wealthy, drug lord, neighborhoods and noted one house in particular. The place is armed with guards carrying machine guns and there is a satellite dish and radio tower within the confines. We asked who lived there of one guard, who promtly responded that the American Consultate lived there. But, as I have quickly learned that anyone and everyone will lie to you about anything here, we asked another guard on the other side of the house. We asked him if this was the american consulates house, he replied no. We asked who did live here and he continually looked my sister up and down as if searching for a wire and never answered the question and got even more distant when she audaciously asked if the house used to belong to a narco-trafficer. I don{t expect to live through my stay in this country, but this trips been good so >far. That{s pretty much it, hope all{s well. Will

No comments: